Any person involved in JCU research activities Researchers may request creation of a HPC account for their research activities by logging a job using access to HPC resources via Service-Now or by contacting the IT HelpDesk.
The following list contains classes of HPC resource users:
- Academic staff
- Postgraduate, research student
- Any JCU person approved by a verified research supervisor/collaborator.
- Non-JCU people working in collaboration with JCU researchers may be granted access to JCU HPC facilities. The JCU researchers you are collaborating with will need to authorise your access. A central computing account will generally be required - contact IT HelpDesk.
Some Reasons for using HPC Resources
- Your research data is too large to store on personal (desktop/laptop computer) storage.
- Data protection (disk failure, silent data corruption, etc.).
- Research collaboration.
- Certainty that memory errors won't invalidate your results.
- Power outages (e.g., RCD testing) are killing jobs running on your desktop/laptop computer.
- Running jobs on your computer takes too long and/or interferes with other tasks you need to do.
- Your computer doesn't have enough memory to meet the requirements for your computational research.
- Increasing your computational research productivity through parallel (e.g., MPI) execution of jobs.
- Increasing your computational research productivity by running multiple jobs at the same time.
- Increasing your computational research productivity through use of GPUs (from June-2018).
- Your computational research involves software that runs on Linux.
- A senior JCU researcher will be required to approve such access.