Hoax Email - Do Not Open Emails from Bothwell, Clifton

Who is affected: All JCU staff and students
Date Reported: 19th June 2015

What do I need to do? If you have received this email please delete immediately. If you have received one of these emails and either clicked on the links contained within it or replied to the message then please contact the IT Help Desk.

Sample Email Follows:

Message Subject:
Important Update: Your Staff E-mail Security Notification Update.
From Address(s): Bothwell, Clifton <clifton dot bothwell at jcu dot edu dot au>
Reply-To Address(s): clifton dot bothwell at jcu dot edu dot au
Message Body:

Dear E-mail User,

This Message is from Administration to you as a staff registered with James Cook University. We are currently Undergoing our usual maintenance exercise to always improve our quality service and reduce the rate of spam in our E-mail portal. However, Increase the rate of protection. Therefore you are mandatory to update your E-mail account to enjoy our current E-mail database service with it's spam protection including thousands of updated features.

UPDATE

Click on update account to update your staff E-mail account other wise your account might generate an out of Version error or suspension/termination of service may occur.

Please Note: That your service remain our primary concern, Therefore This process does not take more than 3 minutes click on update account now to upgrade your Staff E-mail account and enjoy it's new features other wise your account will be suspended before 48 hours

Thank you

Jcu.edu.au Help Center | Microsoft Security Center