Hoax Email - Do Not Open Emails from voltis78@students.rowan.edu

Who is affected: JCU staff
Date Reported: 11th November 2014

What do I need to do? If you have received this email please delete immediately. If you have received one of these emails and either clicked on the links contained within it or replied to the message then please contact the IT Help Desk.

Sample Email Follows:

Message Subject:
This Mail is from help Desk Administrator
From Address(s): voltis78 at students dot rowan dot edu
Reply-To Address(s): voltis78 at students dot rowan dot edu
Message Body:

Dear James Cook University email account user, this urgent update is from administrator server office. We have been monitoring your email account through our server's log file and have noticed that someone tried to access this account and from different distinct location and also been used to send out spam messages as against our policy, for security purpose we will be shutting down this Account until you click link below in order to re-validate your mailbox for verification, If unable to click the link, you are advised to copy and paste it in a new browser.

Click==> here

Thank you for using our email. Mail System Administrator
Copyright 2014 email account upgrade.

Make sure all links are inactive and replace ‘.’ In all links with word dot and ‘@’ symbol with the word ‘at’