[Bulletin 2014012428Network] ScheduledOutage - Wireless Upgrades

[Summary]:
 In order to support higher density requirements in many areas of our campuses, we must not only install new physical gear, which we have been doing,
but also upgrade the software on our backend systems that support the wireless network.  This upgrade will occur on Saturday, 1st of February between
noon and 5pm.  There will be multiple 5-10 minute outages during this process.

[Description]:
 The software on our back end systems needs upgraded to support the new hardware being installed in our high density locations.  The process involves
multiple steps and each system must be rebooted several times during the process.  While a system is rebooted, it will mean the wireless area being
controlled by that system will be down.  There are 4 locations: Mackay(including Mater and Griffin Street Residence), Cairns, Western side of
Townsville Campus (west of the library, including colleges) and Eastern side of Townsville Campus (Library and east of the library).  Each location
will be fully upgraded before moving onto the next to minimise disruption of service.

We apologise for the interruptions to service, but believe that the benefits of the new high density deployment will outweigh any inconveniences
experienced.

If you are unable to connect to wireless on Sunday, 2nd of February, please work through the help desk as normal who will contact the appropriate
people if the issue is widespread.

[Date]:
 1st February 2014

[Time]:
 12pm

[Duration]:
 5 hours

--
SUPPORT: A System Status Message is available by calling +61 7 4781 6555.
For further assistance, please contact ITHelpdesk (ithelpdesk@jcu.edu.au) who

DISCLAIMER: This Bulletin is provided as a service to the JCU community.
All care has been taken to ensure that the information published
is correct. However, the information provided may be affected by
third party providers or suppliers of computing and communications
information, software, systems and services. While every effort is
made to ensure the information is correct, the decision to use any or
all of the information is your responsibility and James Cook University
disclaims all responsibility and accepts no liability (including without
limitation, liability in negligence) for all or any expenses, losses,
damages and costs that may be incurred as a result of information being
incorrect or incomplete in any way for any reason.