NS1220 - Primary Health Care
|Student Contribution Band:
||College of Healthcare Sciences
Concepts and principles of Primary Health Care, Health Promotion and Health Education
including their respective philosophies, contexts and strategies for implementing
Primary Health Care. Professional roles in the delivery of care within a Primary Health
Care framework will be explored, including highlighting cultural safety concerns and
public health initiatives for countries and population groups for poverty alleviation.
Particular emphasis is placed on population groups within Australia who have the potential
to be subjected to disadvantage, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander groups,
migrants, the elderly and the youth of Australia.
- Describe the principles of Primary Health Care and some of the key events in the history
of public health;
- Describe the conceptual perspectives of Primary Health Care and apply them to a range
of population groups, health issues and environments;
- Define health promotion and the key elements of the Ottawa Charter including the application
of strategies suitable for selected health issues;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of culture, diversity and difference upon
the nurse- client relationship appreciating approaches to ensuring cultural safety;
- Critically appraise the potential of Primary Health Care approaches in health care
developments of the future.
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement
process, and in case of
minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest