IA5011 - Field Procedures in Indigenous Research
|Student Contribution Band:
||School of Indigenous Australian Studies
Available to all postgraduate students.
This subject provides the beginning researcher with the skills to conceptualise, design
and conduct Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander research. Topics include qualitative
research design, methodology, reflexivity, ethics, social theory and research, including
Indigenist research. Students will gain practical skills in research design and methods,
developing appropriate research topics and questions, and techniques involved with
data collection. Students will be introduced to issues and notions through online
learning including the discussion board and e-mail, digital medium and reading materials.
Therefore it is essential that students have access to the World Wide Web to complete
this subject. Students are required to attend a compulsory on campus workshop at the
JCU Cairns campus.
- critically analyse perspectives on qualitative and quantitative methodologies in Indigenous
- develop the skills and techniques for data collection and analysis;
- design and conduct ethical research projects that are responsive to the needs and
aspirations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- The ability to think critically, to analyse and evaluate claims, evidence and arguments,
and to reason and deploy evidence clearly and logically;
- The acquisition of coherent and disciplined sets of skills, knowledge, values and
professional ethics from at least one discipline area;
- The ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
- The ability to select and use appropriate tools and technologies.
Study Period 1
|Census Date 24-Mar-2011
|Face to face teaching
(1 day workshop 2 March)
||Dr Felecia Watkin.
||presentations (20%); written reflective critique undertaken during oncampus workshop (30%); assignments (50%).
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement
process, and in case of
minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest