EV2120 - Design Communication
|Student Contribution Band:
||College of Science and Engineering
This subject is an introduction to the communication of design ideas using a range
of graphic formats in and for urban contexts. The main objectives are to develop dexterity
and confidence across a range of graphic media and design scales, and to expand both
creative potential and technical skills of visual communication for professional drawings.
The subject focuses on creativity, precision, and design process, and we will explore
visual communication of design concepts for a range of urban design audiences (i.e.
architects, planners, engineers, governance, community, etc). Upon conclusion, you
will have developed broad visual communication skills informed by theoretical and
technical knowledge, and be able to apply these to urban design, planning, and creative
processes related to cities.
- assess the requirements and conventions of design-orientated drawing and identify
appropriate graphic representation techniques for communicating concepts and ideas;
- communicate design ideas at a range of scales and with technical precision to specific
- use a range of graphic techniques at an introductory level of competence;
- develop a portfolio of effective design communication;
- appreciate the importance of graphic representation as part of the design process,
and for the communication of design.
||12CP of level 1 subjects
Study Period 1
|Census Date 28-Mar-2019
|Face to face teaching
23-Apr-2019 to 27-Apr-2019 (23 to 24 and 26 to 27 April 2019, 4 days of practicals on the Cairns campus)
- 8 hours lectures - online
- 22 hours tutorials - online, after face to face dates and prior to assignment submission date
- 30 hours practicals - on Cairns campus
||workbook (20%); project 3 (30%); project 1 (25%); project 2 (25%).
|Special Assessment Requirements:
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement
process, and in case of
minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest