ED3227 - Languages Secondary Curriculum 1
|Student Contribution Band:
||College of Arts, Society & Education
This subject provides an introduction to principles and practice in the teaching and
learning of second languages and to the theories of language and of language acquisition
that inform current approaches. Students will become familiar with current curriculum
in the Languages learning area; examine the essential components of Languages programs
appropriate to secondary schooling; identify and understand the skills, attitudes
and concepts that can be developed in a Language program; and explore a range of issues
that impact on teaching and learning in secondary contexts. This subject will also
explore discipline-specific curriculum planning, assessment and teaching strategies
appropriate to junior secondary schooling.
- analyse the underlying theories of language and of language learning underlying current
approaches to learning a second language;
- build a repertoire of learning/teaching strategies in Languages;
- develop skills in planning, implementing and assessing learning activities for students;
- become familiar with Languages learning area requirements and a range of issues that
impact on teaching and learning in secondary contexts;
- demonstrate Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at a developed level.
Study Period 1
|Census Date 28-Mar-2019
|Face to face teaching
(Facilitated workshops dates and times TBA - conducted within the Study Period dates)
||Dr Leah Daniel
- 13 hours workshops/Seminars - 13 hrs Faciliated plus additional negotiated hours.
||in class test (20%); unit part b (40%); unit part a (partly invigilated as includes a presentation component) (40%).
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement
process, and in case of
minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest