PC3005 - Nervous System and Mental Health for Pharmacists
|Student Contribution Band:
||College of Medicine & Dentistry
Available to level 3 Bachelor of Pharmacy students.
This subject is designed to introduce the student to some of the conditions that are
associated with the central and peripheral nervous systems. You will learn about the
pathophysiology of these conditions and their clinical management. Mental health includes
a variety of conditions such as depression, schizophrenia and anxiety disorders. In
addition you will learn about a number of neurological conditions including epilepsy
and neurodegenerative conditions such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimber's Disease.
Consequently the number of drugs included in this subject is vast and you will learn
about their side effect profiles, contraindications and in particular the appropriate
use of therapeutic drug monitoring. This subject also seeks to build and develop students
written and communication skills.
- to describe the pathophysiology of the central and peripheral nervous systems;
- to describe the clinical presentation of a number of conditions affecting the central
and peripheral nervous system;
- to identify and appraise the clinical management of conditions affecting the central
and peripheral nervous systems;
- to describe the principles of therapeutic drug monitoring in the rational use of drugs
used in the management of conditions affecting the nervous system and mental health
- to indicate appropriate use of over the counter and complementary medications and
identify contraindications of use;
- to discuss the role, responsibilities and resources available to the pharmacists in
the management of patients with a chronic mental health condition.
- Invigilated > End of semester exam - (60%)
- OSCE - (25%)
- Quizzes - (15%).
||All level 2 BPharm subjects
|PP2231 and PP3252
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement process,
and in case
of minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest