MX1010 - Introduction to Physician Assistant Studies 1
|Student Contribution Band:
||College of Medicine & Dentistry
Available to Bachelor of Health Science (Physician Assistant) students only.
This subject will provide the introduction to integrated health science studies with
foundations in basic science, human anatomy and physiology, pathology and professional
practice issues. There will also be a strong emphasis on clinical skills to include:
patient communication and history taking, physical examination and an introduction
to evidence based medicine. Content will be delivered in a blended format commencing
with a two-week, face to face block at the Townsville campus followed by IT based
modules, small group learning and live and taped lectures.
- acquire a solid foundation of knowledge in selected foundation sciences;
- ability to apply sound communication skills relevant to interaction with patients,
their families and their health professional advisors in a variety of cultural and
- knowledge of basic clinical skills in the areas of history taking and physical examination
that will serve to introduce clinical decision-making;
- knowledge of basic disease pathology and disease prevention;
- critically review the physician assistant role, including working in a delegated medical
practice model and the personal and professional dimensions of this role within the
Australian health system.
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement process,
and in case
of minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest