ME3512 - Heat and Mass Transfer
|Student Contribution Band:
||School of Engineering (pre 2015)
Fouriers Law. Conduction heat transfer, steady state and transient applied to one,
two and three dimensional systems. Ficks Law. Mass diffusion. Numerical solution techniques.Heat
and mass convection, similarity with momentum transfer, scale analysis, natural convection,
heat exchangers and heat and mass exchange devices.Radiation transfer including surface
properties, boiling heat transfer, evaporation and condensation, multi-mode heat transfer
- develop skills in analysing heat and mass exchange problems;
- give familiarity with numerical methods and simple software packages suitable for
analysing heat and mass transfer processes;
- show relevance of heat transfer in physical processes and provide an in-depth technical
knowledge in this area;
- skills in report writing, teamwork during laboratory sessions, measurement techniques
and error analysis;
- to introduce students to the fundamentals of heat and mass transfer and to common
heat and mass exchange devices.
Study Period 2
|Census Date 28-Aug-2014
||Professor Wenxian Lin
||Dr Rory Gover.
- 65 hours - Lectures, tutorials, demonstrations, practicals, site visits and/or seminars. Refer
to Subject Outline for details.
||end of semester exam (50% - 70%); on-course assessment, some of which may be invigilated (30% - 50%).
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement process,
and in case
of minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest