ME3512 - Heat and Mass Transfer
|Student Contribution Band:
||College of Science and Engineering
Fourier's Law. Conduction heat transfer, steady state and transient applied to one
dimensional system. Composite walls, contact resistance and extended surfaces. Fick's
Law. External and internal forced convection flows. Similarity with momentum transfer.
Scale analysis. Natural convection. Boiling and condensation. Heat exchangers, log-mean
temperature difference, effectiveness - NTU methods. Radiation. Mass transfer.
- analyse heat and mass exchange problems;
- use numerical methods and simple software packages to analyse heat and mass transfer
- demonstrate relevance of heat transfer in physical processes and provide an in-depth
technical knowledge in this area;
- compile written laboratory reports as part of a team, effectively employing measurement
techniques and error analysis;
- explain the fundamentals of common heat and mass exchange devices.
- Invigilated > End of semester exam - (40%)
- On-Course assessment, some of which may be invigilated - (60%).
Study Period 2
|Census Date 27-Aug-2020
||Dr Mehdi Khatamifar.
The student workload for this
credit point subject is approximately
- 65 hours - Lectures, tutorials, demonstrations, practicals, site visits and/or seminars. Refer
to Subject Outline for details.
- assessment and self-directed study
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement process,
and in case
of minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest