MD4011 - Integrated Pathology and Clinical Medicine Part 1 of 3
|Student Contribution Band:
||MD4011 MD4012 MD4013
||College of Medicine & Dentistry
Available only to MBBS students
This subject continues the study of integrated medical and social sciences for the
whole human body. The emphasis of this subject is on integrating clinical pathology
knowledge, with an approach to obtaining and interpreting clinical information from
patients. On completion of year 4 the student will be expected to be able to take
relevant and focused histories from patients, examine patients, and seek relevant
clinical investigations. The student will be expected to interpret and integrate this
information with their knowledge of pathological processes.
- Describe the pathological basis of common and/or important human diseases;
- Take a focused history from and conduct a focused examination on patients with a range
of health problems;
- Determine and interpret an appropriate range of clinical investigations relevant to
each patient's problems;
- Further understand the personal, professional and ethical roles of medical practitioners;
- Formulate a list of health care problems that patients may have.
- integrated assessment across subject chain (%).
Special Assessment Requirements
Satisfactory attendance is required at community and clinical placements. Satisfactory
academic and professional standards, as described in the College program Assessment
Guidelines, must be achieved in order to progress to the next year.
||(MD3010 OR MD3011) AND (MD3020 OR MD3012)
As this subject is part of a subject chain, a final
standard grade (e.g. P, C) will only be recorded
for each subject after successful completion of all
parts of the subject chain.
Study Period 3
|Census Date 06-Feb-2020
|Face to face teaching
(Lectures, tutorials and practical sessions)
- 55 hours lectures - Introductory sessions for each body system including four intensive lecture weeks
- 180 hours tutorials - Guided clinical pathological case discussions, Clinical investigations and Pathology
intensives and clinical reasoning
- 50 hours practicals - Clinical skills related to the body systems
- 700 hours placement
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement process,
and in case
of minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest