ED3214 - Mathematics Secondary Curriculum 1
|Student Contribution Band:
||School of Education (pre 2015)
This subject introduces students to the field of mathematics education. The subject
will include investigation of the rationale for the Maths curriculum area, the nature
and design of the Australian Curriculum. The subject will develop discipline specific
lesson and unit planning, assessment and teaching strategies appropriate for Years
7-10. Topics include: the nature of mathematics and mathematical thinking, influences
on school mathematics including syllabus developments, developing and maintaining
a classroom for learning mathematics, planning mathematics lessons, selecting and
developing classroom resources and assessment practices in mathematics.
- construct and critique different modes of mathematics assessment;
- plan, present and critique learning and teaching sequences in mathematics that demonstrate
understanding of the learner and of the curriculum, the ability to integrate mathematical
and pedagogical content knowledge; and the discerning use of resources including ICTs;
- communicate with peers, teachers and parents about the teaching and learning of mathematics;
- demonstrate Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at a developed level.
||ED2488 and minimum of 12 credit points of MA subjects
Study Period 1
|Census Date 27-Mar-2014
||Dr Jo Balatti.
- 39 hours workshops/Seminars
||presentations (20%); two teaching demonstrations (30%); conference presentation (20%); written task: reflections on tutoring a student (30%).
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement process,
and in case
of minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest