CL4071 - Chemical Engineering Design (Part 1 of 2)
|Student Contribution Band:
||School of Engineering (pre 2015)
Except with the approval of the Head of School/Associate Dean, all subjects in a chain
must be studied in consecutive teaching periods.
Conceptual development of an industrial process from the initial feasibility study
to final commissioning of the plant. Development of the mass energy balances around
plant units. Computer-aided design and costing of unit operations. HAZOP and HAZAN
and risk assessment of industrial plant. Site layout and economics of the developed
process. Preparation of a final design document.
- to communicate complex design projects by written reports and oral seminars;
- to integrate the technical, managerial, economic and safety skills gained in previous
subjects to design a large-scale chemical operation;
- to perform complex projects in a team environment;
- to understand how the technical design of a plant is influenced by environmental,
safety and sustainability issues.
||CL3010 AND CL3021 AND CL3030 AND CS3008 AND ME3512
As this subject is part of a subject chain, a final
standard grade (e.g. P, C) will only be recorded
for each subject after successful completion of all
parts of the subject chain.
Study Period 1
|Census Date 27-Mar-2014
||Dr Madoc Sheehan.
- 60 hours - Lectures, tutorials, demonstrations, practicals, site visits and/or seminars. Refer
to Subject Outline for details.
||integrated assessment across subject chain (%).
Minor variations might occur due to the continuous Subject quality improvement process,
and in case
of minor variation(s) in assessment details, the Subject Outline represents the latest